Sunday, January 23, 2011

Carrying out my GAME plan

http://macalchemist.com/wp-content/uploads/Game-Plan-300x199.jpg


As I further my exploration into applying technology into my classroom content, I developed a GAME plan that will focus my teaching. This week I am looking at the progress of my GAME plan. 

 
1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
Teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments.
Teachers: promote student reflection using collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students' conceptual understanding and thinking, planning, and creative processes.

4. Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
Teachers understand local and global societal issues and responsibilities in an evolving digital culture and exhibit legal and ethical behavior in their professional practices.
Teachers:
Promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information.
 

In carrying out my GAME plan, I will need to use my colleagues at my school, as well as within my personal network. Students will also need to learn how to appropriately respond to content online. By teaching lessons that include an online comment portion, students may safely practice and apply what we are learning in school. The use of blogs, wikis, and other collaboration tools will need to be at done at school, as there is a limited amount of technology available at students’ homes. This will require that students will need access to the laptop cart that is shared with the other 600 students at our school.

Before beginning this process, I need to clarify any permission forms that need to be signed by parents. Our district has a form that students need to sign before using the computer, but it is not clear about what and how students’ material is used online. Many of the struggles I am currently facing is the inevitable time. With so many mandates that already fill my time, I am struggling with fitting my GAME plan within my schedule. One of the things I need to do is to look at how I can use collaborative tools within my electricity unit, as well as giving them problem-based learning activities to challenge students to work together to solve a real-life problem. It is a challenge for third grade students to communicate in type, yet another goal of mine is to work on their keyboarding skills, or at least a beginning understanding of the keyboard layout.

So far, in my class we have talked about being appropriate online, and how to comment respectfully. Students have explored the creative side of www.kerpoof.com and I have plans to allow for the chat portion in the near future. We have a long way to go!

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could tell you that the keyboarding skills are better once the students reach 7th grade. In some cases there are, but in others. . . . I ran into the situation last semester that the students papers were worse when they were typed! It's a good thing that I conferenced with them so much, so that I remembered the depth of their content. It was a wake up call for me. My school offers two different computer/keyboarding classes. Unfortunately the student in the comprehensive remediation classes for reading and/or math do not get to take the keyboarding classes. Those students are often the ones that need it the most.

    I understand what you mean about time constraints, especially when a lot of the technology we wouldlike to use with our students we're going to have to teach them to use. In this standards-based, high-stakes testing climate, it sometimes seems like there is no time to do everything we'd like to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a high school teacher I am amazed that many of my student do not know how to use simple things like spell and grammar check when typing a paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your frustration with the lack of time. I am having similar problems with the same factor. Try not to get discouraged. I have begun taking the attitude that I need to walk before I can run with my GAME plan and implementing technology. As long as I take one small step every day, I am working toward my goal and it is one step closer than I was previously.

    ReplyDelete