Sunday, June 26, 2011

Technology and the Future



Looking backwards at the work I have accomplished, I am able to take a glance at where I will be headed in the future. It is in these moments of reflection I can truly see all that I have accomplished, and those that I have plans to do. The learning activity I created uses a simple application of the Ipad, yet I am intrigued at the many other applications in the classroom. With one tool, many things can be done; it is like the Swiss army knife of computing. In thinking about emerging technologies, handheld technologies are the newest tool to be implemented in our district. In the last year, I have focused on their uses in the classroom and their future within our student’s lives. The lesson that I created was a stepping-stone into the next phase of technology use within my school.

Reflecting upon my previous work provides a needed look at what works and what can be improved upon. I find that I do not spend enough time reflecting on lessons, or my own learning. As I look back at all that I have done in the last couple of years with Walden, it seems as if a lifetime of work has happened. I feel as if I have transformed my lessons and classroom environment into one that is more receptive to the use of technology, as well as how students will use that technology.

It is not just about the gadgets. While I still feel a draw to the newest gadget, or tool, it is their use and the applications that may align themselves with that tool that now hold my attention. One adjustment to identifying emerging technologies is to keep an eye on my blog reader. Following several new authors with similar interests allows me to stay connected to the educational technology world. There is many times, that I feel as if I am speaking a different language when I talk to fellow professionals within my district about technology in the classroom. I seem to be the person that others seek out for advice about a new technology, or helpful hints in ways to use existing technology. Opening the walls of my classroom and school to others in different states and countries has helped me to feel as if there are other people like me, wanting to learn more but never having had enough resources. Since the first day of embarking on my adventure with Walden, I began looking for other professionals that could enhance my personal learning network. With an eye on who is included in my blog reader, “it’s critical for our students and teachers to create, nurture, and include varied viewpoints in our PLNs” (Fisch, C., 2008). I no longer feel alone.

Supporting 21st century learners has become a priority within my classroom. As education has changed in the way it is delivered, as well as received, it is becoming more critical to grow with my students. Another adjustment to be made is to continue learning about the technology available as well as what drives my students. Following the trends in technology and finding those that are meaningful and beneficial to my classroom will help me to stay current with what drives my students. I plan to utilize many of the resources I have been introduced to within Walden as well as within my personal learning networks. Using more tools for collaboration and creation will be skills that I plan to develop for my classroom. “[Young people] expect to interact with and have a voice in everything they do” (Lemke, C., Coughlin, E., 2009, p.56) After realizing that the internet is more than a tool for searching but as a way of connecting, I look forward to bringing the world to my students. My students will receive more than just a basic technology experience, but one that is enriched with their questions and interests. I have learned that “technology can make a significant positive impact on the quality of teaching and learning, the level of student motivation and engagement, and the intensity of career preparation” (Gillard, S., Bailey, D., 2007). I have discovered how to find technology that will drive my students to be more engaged in the material, as well as create more learning opportunities. I look forward to learning from the digital citizens sitting in our classrooms.

References
Fisch, K. (2008). My Personal Learning Network. Learning & Leading with Technology, 35(6), 17. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

Fullan, M. (2002). The Change Leader. Educational Leadership, 59(8), 16. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

Gillard, S., & Bailey, D. (2007). Technology in the Classroom: Overcoming Obstacles, Reaping Rewards. International Journal of Learning, 14(1), 87-93. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

Lemke, C., Coughlin, E., (2009) The Change Agents: Technology is empowering 21st century students in four key ways. Educational Leadership. California.

No comments:

Post a Comment