Friday, July 9, 2010

Behaviorism and Homework

While reading the chapters in Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works that deal with homework, I started to feel defensive. I realized that I am deeply involved with the homework debate, and was taking it personally. I do not put a lot of emphasis on homework in my classroom, because of the issues it causes with families. Parents make a big deal if students do not finish their homework and expect consequences to come from the classroom. According to Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski “homework provides opportunities for students to deepen their understanding of the content and to gain proficiency with their skills.” (p.187). This is the truth in homework, however many teachers and families mistake it for a chance to drill and kill. Homework should be a continuation of the learning from the classroom. Students should be given the chance to explore their learning without fear of consequences. The example of students exploring their effort in their assignments compared to their rate of success was a very powerful message as described by Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski. I plan to investigate how I can have my third grade students graph something similar to see their results, like the students that used it before, I believe that my students would understand the value of effort in completing their assignments with thought and accuracy. I will continue to assign homework as practice but being mindful of the main purpose of enrichment of our classroom activities.

Behaviorism learning theory is an important part of running a classroom everyday. From the classroom management, procedures, and homework students need the repetitive routine and reinforcement to work effectively with their classmates in a cohesive manner. “Technology facilitates homework and practice by providing a wealth of resources for learning outside of the classroom, making it easy for students…providing ‘drill and practice’ resources that help students refine their skills.” (Pittler, p.189) Many technology resources available utilize the behaviorist learning theory. Some of the resources listed provide instant feedback on how a student preformed. I was excited to see that I have used some of the resources for practicing students understanding of a topic, before assessing them later. Students enjoy practicing things they already have some knowledge about, especially when they know that they are expected to know the information again in the future. When students are allowed to use technology to complete their homework, there is more interest in doing well and attempting more. They are provided with the instant feedback that is necessary to be effective practice. Many of my students use www.spellingcity.com to use a multitude of ways to practice their spelling words, and are able to instantly determine which words they need to focus on studying. I may not always be able to include technology to complete a homework assignment, but I will provide many different ways to practice, or further research a topic on a class website students can access.

Resources:
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that behaviorist learning theory holds an important place in today’s classroom by giving teachers the opportunity to reinforce skills both in and out of the classroom. I also agree that technology adds a new dimension to homework assignments by making them more fun and interesting to students. Although I believe homework is important, in the past couple of years it seems that more and more students and some of their parents are viewing it in a more negative light. I teach at a small high school where students are involved in numerous extracurricular activities and do not have enough time in the day to do everything they may want to do. I actually have parents defend their children’s decision to prioritize work for certain classes to the exclusion of others. I share the opinion that we must stay mindful of the purpose of homework: to enrich classroom activities. In my experience, even when this seems to be the case, it is getting more and more difficult to have students and parents understand how it homework is beneficial. For the coming school year, I think I may create a spreadsheet which links homework assignments to achievement similar to the strategy in the text which correlates effort to achievement. Maybe something like this would help students and their parents better understand the purpose of homework.

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. My district mandates that homework is not to be graded. This sometimes gives students and parents the wrong idea because students are still responsible for completing homework. I make sure that my assignments are an extension of what was learned in class that day.
    I wish that I could assign homework on the computer, however, not all of my students have access to a computer at home. Therefore, I tend to give long term projects, extension activities or extra credit work via the computer. This way, students who do not have computers at home have a chance to use the computers in school or at the local library outside of school hours.

    ReplyDelete