Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cooperative Learning, Conectivism, and Social Learning

http://annejohnsrud.blogspot.com/2009/02/cooperative-learning-and-short-stories.html
Cooperative learning is one of my preferred methods of learning. I enjoy working with others, discussing the information, and problem solving as a team. Some students have a hard time working collaboratively, I believe that many of the issues stem from other behavior or social issues. Many of the trainings I have attended discussed ways of implementing cooperative learning effectively in the classroom. Now the focus is on implementing technology to work collaboratively with others. There are numerous multimedia tools available to help “students interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning” (Pittler, p.139). When students are interacting academically, they are continuing to build their network of knowledge.

Dr. Orey discussed the zone of proximal development as being what a student is able to learn at this time. A student is ready for the information, it is not already known, or too challenging that they need a “more knowledgeable other” (Laureate, 2009). The social learning theories would describe the place where students and technology can act as the “more knowledgeable other”. According to George Siemens, students are able to access an abundant amount of information, and have a rich network of technology in the way they connect with other people and data (Laureate, 2009). It is this ability to instantly access information and connect with others that is the basis for the social learning theories.

Students are able to work cooperatively and construct their own knowledge by utilizing the amazing array of resources listed in our text. By connecting the constructivist and social constructivism learning theories, students can solve a problem by gathering data relying on other people or information available. Many of the resources listed in the text were things I had not heard of, yet I plan to find ways to thoughtfully implement in my future classes. One of my goals is to build a classroom that is more globally aware; by using keypals, students could connect in a timelier manner with other kids around the world. Through communicating and building a network outside of our locality, students can begin to understand the similarities and difference in the world around them. One strategy that I am already using is having a webpage with a shared calendar to communicate events with students and their families. It has been very effective for families as a window into the activities in our classroom. Even though I still write a weekly newsletter, I find that updating a webpage with events and other happenings is an easier method to inform families. The challenge is to support my families who do not have access to a computer or the Internet. I also use the webpage as a resource to collect bookmarks for our different units; students are able to access these links quickly and easily. By opening our classroom to a more global community, but being mindful of student safety and online responsibilities, my students will find new ways of constructing knowledge and creating their networks of learning.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009a). Connectivism as a Learning Theory [DVD]. Baltimore, MD: Siemens, G.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009b). Social Learning Theories [DVD]. Baltimore, MD: Orey, M.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Champagne
    I too use a webpage to update my students and parents on events, assignments and grades. I feel that technology greatly helps us to work together on meeting our goals and learning from one another. I would also agree with your thoughts on certain students not liking to work with others. I think most of them either have not had an oppertunity to work with others a great deal earlier on or had a bad experience with it. I believe with the proper set up every student would enjoy working with a classmate. How do you grade when having students working together? I find this to be students biggest concern when working in groups or partners.
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  2. The networking of students and families does bring so much to their learning by providing additional sources of information as well as a true learning community. Keypals does seem like a perfect way to build that connection outside the classroom. I am also happy to hear that you have had such a good response to your classroom website and calendar. I have to admit that this will be my first year using a site with my class, which already has a classroom and school events calendar on it. I am looking forward to increasing that connection among families. Our "4th Grade Chronicle" will also be posted on it, a newsletter where students write the articles to report about recent and upcoming events. In the past I have "published" this on paper monthly, a great way for students to highlight and take pride in what's been going on in their classroom. Having it on the website will provide the students with a better "real time" connection to their learning community.

    ReplyDelete