Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Blogs....Safety....Permissions

I've been contemplating how I can incorporate blogs in my classroom, and it really started me thinking about internet safety.  How can my students learn to blog if I haven't touched on being safe and appropriate on the internet.  Just last week, I had to make sure all my student's parents signed the appropriate use forms for their students to use the computer.  On the same form was permission to publish student's names, email addresses, and participate in videoconferences.  The form was very vague and nondescript as to the uses, or possibilities that our classroom might be using technology for.


My question is... What permissions would I need for students to participate in a blog?

I have thought of several ways that I would love to use blogs in my 4th grade classroom.  I thought I would start with asking a question and students commenting on the question.  I plan on making a bulletin board to start, so students can see how a blog operates.  By posting within the classroom first, I would like students to get comfortable with writing for a broader audience within our building, and then move to a blog on the internet with an even larger audience. 

I have also spoken with another teacher at a different school about colaborating on projects.  We have talked about doing blogs with a book talk setting, as well as a wiki for writing projects.  By already having in place a specific audience, it has helped me feel more comfortable with the process.

Eventually, I hope to use blogs as a way to extend student thinking in all of our subjects.  Why not discuss math problems along with books, writing, and science questions! 

It all starts with laying the appropriate groundwork........We have LOTS to do!!

3 comments:

  1. I want to use blogs in my class with my students. However, do you have to get permission at your school for students to blog. My blogs will be directly to me not to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura -
    I responded to this on the web-links page because I was having a lot of frustration with posting; I think I got it worked out (fingers crossed, but if I lose this post, I will probably start pulling my hair out). Your Blog looks great (I was having trouble with that too). The issue you brought up - safety and appropriateness - is one I had given little thought to. I was so caught up in the technological and instructional end of it that I forgot that this would certainly pose some challenges. I have not had a chance to talk to my principal about any of this, but I'm sure the safety issue will make her (rightly) nervous.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Champagne,
    What a great idea to work with a teacher from another school. It might be fun to share ideas and observations. My question would be: how would you manage the workload. My experience in collaboration is typically that one person ends up doing most of the work.
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Mr. DiCesare

    ReplyDelete