Thursday, November 26, 2009

21st Century Skills website pondering....

The website for 21st Century skills is an amazing resource!  The front page was difficult to follow and reads like a textbook (ick!).  However, it can guide a reader through the the information about what 21st Century Skills are and how business are working with classrooms to fund the tools necessary.  The most helpful resource on the site that I found was the online tools.  I was able to research different lessons at Route 21 to help infuse my classroom with technology rich activities.  I was able to find a curriculum map for each content area.  It lists many different activities and projects to foster the skills for the 21st Century.  I plan on printing it out and using it as a guide to focus the project based tasks for my students.

I was disapointed, but not surprised, to see that Alaska was not on the list of states with the 21st Century Skills initiative.  No matter how much technology our state puts into the hands of our rural students, our state is still behind the curve.

The implications for my students, and myself are education.  I will look to the online tools to broaden my base of ideas for implementing technology in the classroom.  This site will also be a resource to use to remind myself of the type of students that are in my classroom.  For my students, we will look to the projects to get ideas of ways that we can implement more technology in the classroom.

5 comments:

  1. Aw here it is... I agree with you... I also thought the front page felt like a text book... for me it did not have stickiness... make me want to return often... I also got stuck on the goal statement... There were a lot of things in there that cause me to wonder about the purpose of this advocacy organization... I did not agree with the philosophy of this site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I do agree, I felt like I was reading a text book on the website. I really did not look at the online tools, but I will take a look at them. I see you mentioned that Alaska was not on the list. I am not suprise that Georgia was not on the list and I don't look for them to add themselves. Because Georgia is more Georgia Performance Standards oriented and it sometimes does not include alot of technology. If they do, I will be very suprise. I will look at the Route 21, seems like you think it is a great tool. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to begin a 21st Century collaboration with your classes this month. We are studying Native American & Eskimo Art this month. Let's try to or blog if you think your students might be able to enlighten my students. It would be a new experience for my students to connect with someone from Alaska and probably a glimpse into Hispanic culture for yours. We could share some photos of the work we did about Hispanic culture and the interpretation of my students about their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the website reads like a text, but I'd also like to see some kind of "review" section for the website. Something like we were asked to do for our wiki. To make this website user-friendly they could have teachers review their resources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It did read like a textbook and unlike you, it stopped me from really exploring each link and section. I'm glad to know there are resources for teachers including lesson plans. I will definitely check back on the site and see if I can integrate anything into my classrooms. I was even more surprised that California with its huge education budget isn't listed on there which could mean, they feel that all classrooms are up to date (which I doubt); California must have something in place already or the CTA doesn't want to work with the big business partners on the list. Either way, I'm on board if I see more teachers and Universities on board as well.

    ReplyDelete